My research activity concerns the study of rare processes in the field of astroparticle physics and using highly radiopure crystal scintillators with experimental activities conducted in underground laboratories such as the Gran Sasso National Laboratories (LNGS). I am member of the DAMA collaboration and my supervisor is Pierluigi Belli.
During my master thesis work, I contributed to the data taking and data analysis of an experiment for the study of double beta decay modes in 106Cd using a radiopure crystal scintillator in CdWO4 (215.4 g) enriched to 66% in 106Cd which exploits a logic of coincidence with two other radiopure crystal scintillators of CdWO4. The apparatus is being measured at the Gran Sasso National Laboratories (LNGS) of the INFN, in the intrinsic low background experimental set-up called DAMA/R&D.
Furthermore, I was involved in realizing an experiment to characterize two radiopure crystal scintillators in Cs2ZrCl6 and to study double beta decays in Zr isotopes. In particular, I am engaged both in data taking and in their analysis. Moreover, I am involved in the implementation of new experimental apparatuses for the study of rare processes using new generation crystal scintillators. For example, I am also involved in the characterization and implementation of ZnWO4crystals in order to optimize their radiopurification, as well as their optical properties, and possibly increase the light-yield of the scintillator. The aim is to evaluate the use of ZnWO4 scintillator crystals with anisotropic response to study of directionality for those candidates of Dark Matter particles that can induce nuclear recoils.
National and International conferences:
- 12th International Conference on New Frontiers in Physics (ICNFP 2023), July 10-23 2023, online. Invited talk's title: "Developments, features and perspectives of crystal scintillators of the Cs2MCl6 family (M = Hf or Zr) to search for rare processes".
- International Conference on Neutrinos and Dark Matter (NuDM- 2022), Sept. 25-28 2022, online. Talk’s title: “Study of Dark Matter with directionality approach using ZnWO4 crystal scintillators".
- 108° National Congress of the Italian Physical Society (SIF 2022), Sept. 12-16 2022, Milan, Italy. Talk’s title: “Studio di processi rari negli isotopi naturali di Hf e Zr utilizzando cristalli scintillatori di Cs2HfCl6 e Cs2ZrCl6".
- 11th International Conference on New Frontiers in Physics (ICNFP 2022), Aug. 30-Sept. 11 2022, Kolymbari, Crete, Grece.
Invited talk’s title: “Study for rare processes in naturally occuring Zr isotopes using crystal scintillators Cs2ZrCl6".
- MEDEX (Matrix Elements for the Double beta decay EXperiments) conference, June 13-17 2022, Prague, Czech Republic. Invited talk’s title: “Study of double beta decay processes in 106Cd using a 106CdWO4 crystal scintillator”.
- 8th International conference on radionuclide metrology - low level radioactivity measurement techniques (ICRM-LLRT 2022), May2–6 2022, LNGS, Italy. Invited talk’s title: “Low level measurements for rare nuclear transitions in Hf isotopes".
- 107° National Congress of the Italian Physical Society (SIF 2021), Sept. 13-17 2021, online. Talk’s title: “Studio preliminare di processi 2β in 106Cd usando un cristallo scintillatore arricchito di 106CdWO4 in coincidenza/anticoincidenza con due CdWO4”.
- 10th International Conference on New Frontiers in Physics (ICNFP 2021), Aug. 23 -Sept. 2 2021, online Invited talk’s title: “Preliminary search for double beta decay processes in 106Cd using 106CdWO4 scintillator".